Academy Transformation Trust’s Statement of Intent
It is our core responsibility to ensure that students have access to the very best education possible. One of the most fundamental and influential aspects of a child’s education is the curriculum that they have access to. The power of curriculum is immense. It has the power to not only transform an individual, but to also transform whole communities and shape their understanding of the world and their place in it. Therefore, it is imperative that the curriculum on offer within our academies is truly world class and gives students access to powerful knowledge that takes them far beyond what their own individual experience ever could. In order to achieve this we must ensure we expose all students ‘to the best that has been thought and said and engender an appreciation of human creativity and achievement’. To truly transform lives we must not only show students what is possible but inspire and instil the confidence in them to go out and do it. All learners in our academies will experience a curriculum that:
1. is ambitious and enjoyable through knowledge and skills developed from Foundation Stage to Post 16 and Adult provision.
2. is knowledge rich, ensuring access to a wide, global cultural capital – thus maximising lifetime opportunities.
3. is inclusive, nurturing and tailored towards the needs of the individual.
4. is focused on developing the very best oracy, literacy, numeracy and digital skills – enabling access to the widest learning and the very best careers possible to ensure we develop global citizens.
5. is enriching, ensuring all experience a rich variety of cultural, artistic and sporting activities.
6. is broad in terms of coverage and (at least) encompassing the breadth of the 2014 English National Curriculum.
7. celebrates the uniqueness of each educational setting in terms of localised knowledge and skills.
8. develops character, personal pride and the highest moral standards.
9. celebrates diversity, challenges injustice, promotes equality and encourages the creation of a better world.
10. is delivered by well-qualified, forward-thinking, skilled, passionate professionals.
Pool Hayes Academy Curriculum Aims
At Pool Hayes Academy our curriculum is designed to ensure all students, regardless of background and ability, have equal learning opportunities. We want our students to experience an ambitious but inclusive curriculum, where ‘no one is left behind’. We aim to ensure our students develop into polite, responsible, resilient, confident British citizens who value education and the importance of literacy when they embark on the next stage of their lives in our twenty first century world.
We recognise each child as a unique individual. We celebrate and welcome differences within our academy community. The ability to learn is underpinned by the teaching of basic skills, knowledge, concepts and values. We aim to provide enhancement opportunities to enhance the cultural capital of our students’ lives, ensuring there is a strong sense of social justice within our academy family.
The Three Keys to Our Curriculum:
• To develop skills, knowledge and understanding that enables the individual to grow within each subject and holistically.
• To present opportunities that challenge preconceptions and develop new thinking.
• To secure recall and application in situations that enable students to invest in their learning.
Our curriculum pays due regard to statutory legislation including but not limited to, the Health Act 2006, the Equality Act 2010 and the Education Act 2011.